25 August 2008

ebenezing

10 While Samuel was sacrificing the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to engage Israel in battle. But that day the LORD thundered with loud thunder against the Philistines and threw them into such a panic that they were routed before the Israelites. 11 The men of Israel rushed out of Mizpah and pursued the Philistines, slaughtering them along the way to a point below Beth Car.

12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, [b] saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us." 13 So the Philistines were subdued and did not invade Israelite territory again.


Setting up a place of remembrance. This is a little bit of what this space is about, isn't it?



I'm so sad you girls are gone. And I can already see how the enemy is trying to thwart us, discourage us, turn our attentions away from the outpouring of grace we experienced this last week.

There is so much from our time together that I'll remember. Snippets of conversations, the song lyrics we couldn't get out of our heads. Tears, prayers, laughter. Realizing that our very coming together was nothing short of a miracle. Experiencing the lavish and detail-oriented love of God.

I think I told you how I never listen to the radio. But Kaari turned it on during our long drive home yesterday (that drive was a crucible moment in and of itself; perhaps I'll save that for another post). And it was still on when I went to Starbucks for my second cup of coffee this morning. What song should be on the radio but "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", the song whose lyrics we were considering closely just a day or two before. And what verse should be sung just as I pulled out of my parking spot, but:

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.

I hope you have arrived in safety, my friends. There's so much I want to say, but I don't know where to start. It is a good thing that we don't need to say it all now.

Much love to you, my fellow sisters and sojourners.





photo courtesy of publicdomainpictures.net

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow. You know, I'm still too overwhelmed by the week and the onslaught of real life to have much to say, but this is all so true. No matter what comes of the time, it's so special to remember it, and maybe remember ourselves in the process.

christianne said...

I love it. Gorgeous, all of it.

I'm like both of you: still processing, still taking it all in. It doesn't help that my travels were delayed so much; I feel so behind in catching back up with real life!

I look forward to coming back here, soaking more of it in, and soon contributing alongside the three of you.

I love you.

kirsten said...

i totally agree, sarah: the onslaught of real life coming all too quickly, but all of us needing to remember and walk through this time in memory.

and yeah, christianne - i almost felt like writing anything about this week was like a premature birth. it's something not developed enough in my own heart & mind yet to really provide anything in the way of meaningful dialogue. it just ... it's too soon.

and i'm still thinking about your gorgeous photo montage. WOW. you're a photographer, girl. i loved how uniquely you captured each woman's spirit on film.

christianne said...

Aww . . . thank you for sharing that. I enjoy taking photographs, especially of people.

Even though you say it has felt like a premature birth to write about this trip, you are doing it marvelously, both in what you created here with this blog, what you wrote in this post, and what you wrote on your Lattes blog. (Wow. That one was powerful.)

It's nice to know we all feel, collectively, shell-shocked and can give ourselves and each other the space we need to explore all that's inside of us.

Christin said...

Wow, Kirsten! This is beautiful. Thanks for your creativity and well-crafted words.

It is true. I can already feel the attack of the enemy. I am tired of being tired. Here it is Wednesday, and I am just now getting back to the computer. Ugh.

Benny!

Sarah said...

Christin!!! I'm so glad you're here. But yuck on the tiredness. I think I can join you there (I'm just on the computer a lot for work.). Take you time...we'll be here.

kirsten said...

i'm with sarah. i'm on the computer a lot for work, so i just steal what moments for myself (& for us) that i can.

i'm glad your here, in spite of the computer aversion. :o)

Christin said...

Thanks, my friends. Your comments actually made me weepy.