28 August 2008

The Scripture passage I have clung to during this season of life and my prayer for us

For this reason we also, from the day we heard about you, have not ceased praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may live worthily of the Lord and please him in all respects - bearing fruit in every good deed, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might for the display of all patience and steadfastness, joyfully giving thanks to the Father who has qualified you to share in the saints' inheritance in the light. He delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Colossians 1:9-14 (NET)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Ok, so this is the part where I admit that most of the time I just don't read Paul because that's about how much sense he makes to me. But pieces of this stand out for me today.

I think the main one, probably because of last night, is the part where it says we're already delivered.

"Take that, Jackass..."

I read that, and I realize that it doesn't matter what it feels like, reality is different. And the feelings are important, because they're motivators and heart-status-indicators, but they're also not always right. The truth is that I'm saved, you're saved, we're all saved...and already in His kingdom.

BOO-YAH!!!

Christin said...

"Take that, Jackass" indeed!

Your comment made me want to stand up and do a victory dance.

One of the parts that stands out to me is, "being strengthened with ALL power according to HIS GLORIOUS MIGHT for the display of ALL patience and steadfastness"

This is the part I pray for myself most often. I am blown away at the source of our power. Surely, if I am receiving power according to his glorious might I can get through whatever it is. I also love the "alls." Originally I thought what I needed most was patience - especially in the area of mommying. Then I realized I need the steadfastness just as much if not more. Steadfastness in parenting, in ministry, in saying "Yes, whatever you want me to do God, I will do for your glory!"

Sarah said...

You have such a good perspective on that. Honestly, I read it and thought, "If it's all the same, could I be strengthened with all power for some purpose other than patience and steadfastness?" Then again, those really are what it takes to keep going in this world...

christianne said...

I read this passage here and all I could think in response was AMEN!!

Not very profound, I know, but it's where my heart is.

kirsten said...

let me add my "amen".

paul's words are so potent & powerful!! i can feel his passion & insistence in them.

what sticks out to me:
* praying that God will fill us (not ourselves, not other things)
* according to His might. and yes, my friends ... His might is GREAT!!
* HE HAS QUALIFIED US to share in the saints' inheritance. HE HAS QUALIFIED US. does that make anyone else want to jump up & down?!
* he delivered us (past tense) from the power of darkness & placed us (past tense) in the kingdom of His son (again, anyone up for a dance party?!).

dance dance dance, yeah yeah yeah!!!!