26 August 2008

Plunged into a Whirlwind

So, my time of getting back home has been strange for me. It mostly feels like the timeframe for everything I expected to experience when I got home has been pushed back in unexpected, vaguely unpleasant ways.

First there was the delay of my flight home. The first leg was delayed seven hours, and then I had to fly four hours only to spend the night in Memphis. I had intended to spend the night in my own bed and getting to reunite with Kirk and Solomon and Diva. I was disappointed to be spending the night alone in a grungy hotel room with a dying cell phone and without a change of clothes, a comb, or even a toothbrush.

As you girls know, we didn't get much sleep during our time together. This is something I am pretty happy about because it means that time was spent talking with you girls, getting to hear the real deal about what's going on in your lives and hearts. Those late-night conversations are what I think God most used to bring us to this point of walking together through this season of ebenezing.

But it also means that limited sleep and two days of travel translates into one very tired girl who has no concept of a sleep schedule. I got home and crashed for several hours. When I woke up, it was 8:30pm and I felt like I was ready to start my day. I discovered my Spring Arbor community had cropped up online and so I began to orient myself to the online interface, the orientation syllabus, and the discussion board forums. Later, I got the idea to create the photo montage of our trip and worked on that for several hours.

All of this was a lot of fun, but it means I didn't go to sleep until 5:30 this morning. When I woke up at 1:00, I felt sluggish and slightly behind. This was compounded by my discovery that there was much more taking place in the Spring Arbor interface than I'd realized last night. I had found the orientation module, but there was also a whole other module for my first official class that had been posted and active for about a week.

I don't know how it happened that I wasn't clued in to this first class module before today, but somehow the announcement for it had never shown up on my school portal homepage. It felt overwhelming to realize that I need to navigate through two class interfaces right now (the orientation module and the first "real" class module), making sense out of both of them, getting to know both professors, and trying to figure out what is expected of me and when for each.

But beyond that, it feels distressing to discover how far behind I am in the discussion board forums with my classmates. Whereas last night I was flying high and totally thrilled to have discovered the orientation forum and get caught up on all the introductions and discussion threads, today I feel totally behind and lost and out of the loop. I'm struggling against a message in my heart that says I'm going to be left behind and that it's too late for me to be part of the group.

None of these things could have been helped. I couldn't control what happened with the flight delays, and I couldn't control the need for sleep. I couldn't control, either, when I found the information online about my classes, because I had contacted the school before the trip and thought I had all the information I needed already.

What this means is that I'm having to learn how to sit in the whirlwind that is now surprisingly swirling around me. I'm having to be gentle with myself and take things one baby step at a time. I'm having to trust that I will not be forgotten and that my classmates will want to know me once I finally get caught up and can enter into the fray. I'm having to trust that everything is just as it should be and there will be grace for me in this place.

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, lovely girl...yuck! I know that feeling of wondering if I'll ever belong, if it's too late for me to be a part of things, if I should have done something different. It's horrid to feel like you'll always be playing catch-up (or, at least, it's horrid for me, especially in relationships!).

At the same time, I admire your boldness. I see you here, not giving up or giving in but holding on to truth, that you'll be ok, that you needed the time you took, that it's not too late, that anything saying something different is a lie and you know it. Way to go, bold one.

You know, if they don't want to know you, they're either crazy or smoking something. I'm so happy to know you, so blessed.

Walk on...sometimes, I think that's the victory, especially in the whirlwind. "Look at me, I'm still standing, so THERE!!"

Love you!!

kirsten said...

I'm having to trust that everything is just as it should be and there will be grace for me in this place.

oh friend.

how much i want to just throw my arms around you right now. maybe the two of us (or four of us, rather) braced against the whirlwind would be better.

i'm finding myself in a similar situation today & it makes me mad, because i feel like the enemy is interjecting himself into all the goodness we have experienced & are experiencing just because he wants to corrupt this very good thing that God is doing. he wants to confound and befuddle us, get us disoriented and confused, caught up in these ill feelings and bog us down, shackling us with his iron lies around our ankles.

i'm glad we have this space because we can call it out, we can pray against it, and we can offer one another grace in this place.

particularly with you, my friend ... oh, i think the enemy fears you. i think he's against everything christ is about in you & i know he would like to do nothing more than undermine the work Christ is undertaking in you. there is a glory in you that the enemy fears. i don't want to turn into one of those people who turns every bad or difficult thing into a spiritual attack, but we know he cannot have liked how powerfully God presented Himself to us & in us this last week.

i feel like i'm meandering, but i just want to say this to you, my lovely friend: we will stand with you in the whirlwind and when you need a rest, do our best to shelter you from it in what way we can. miles may divide us, but really that's about it. the same God is in us & for us. i am for you friend, & insofar as it's in my power, i will not let the enemy have his way with you.

christianne said...

Sarah, thank you for saying that they'd be crazy or smoking crack if they didn't want to know me. That made me laugh, which really helped. It also helped me believe a little more that I'm someone worth knowing, which is a message that is sometimes so hard for me to believe.

And Kirsten, I barely know what to say. You brought tears in my eyes. That you would stand with me and fight with me and for me . . . that blows me away. I feel humbled by the love you all show me. Your fierceness blows me away. These words I'm offering are lame, but know that your words are rooting themselves into my heart, near to me.

Sarah said...

You know, I read this again and I left out part of what I meant to say (the hazards of commenting during work breaks, I suppose). What I thought was something very akin to what Kirsten was saying--you're not standing alone...you have us and others standing with you. If we all help hold each other up, we'll stand so strong.

I think I was thinking of a teepee...you know, where all the poles lean together and somehow you have a house...we're building us a house, and don't you forget it ;)

christianne said...

Smiles a mile wide, girl. We're building us a house. Hooray! I love me some house-building. :)

PS: I'm sitting here working through some orientation tutorials on Blackboard, and I can't help thinking about how special a time this last week was to share with you girls. I keep smiling, imagining your faces. I keep thinking, "Wow. We got to do that. It was so special. We could not have emerged without forging the connection we did." I'm so thankful God provided all of us a way to share in that, and now to share in this.

PPS: I miss Christin!!

kirsten said...

building a house, la la la la!!

i miss our christin-girl too!! :o(

Sarah said...

building a house, la, la, la

Now I feel like a Smurf (La la la la la la, la la la la la)

I've totally been wondering if she's all good or if something came up. Love you, Christin!

Sarah said...

We could not have emerged without forging the connection we did.

You know, I hadn't thought about it this way, but I'm struck by a "yes!" that rings true in my soul. Between our choices and God's working (and no, I don't know how those work together ;) ), we couldn't have done otherwise...wow.

Christin said...

I'm here! I'm well. I've just been having an aversion to the computer (for some reason, when I went to type computer, the word Commodore came in my head. Anyone but me remember learning about computers on a Comodore?)

Oh, I love you girls!

I love Sarah's image of building a house, but with the teepee thrown in there for the image of support.

As I was letting Adam in on a little of the beauty of our time together, he made a comment about how you girls provoke a desire in a person to get to know you. So, Christianne, if Adam, who has met you once in person and many times through the filter of Christin thinks you are interesting and worth knowing, I am sure those in your online group will see it too. Not to mention, just look at all the peeps who come to be near you through blogging. Don't you dare let the enemy tell you it is too late. You are simply making your grand entrance, and now the party can start.

Meanwhile, you can tell ol' lying pants, "You lied! You dog! And, you'll be sorry!"

Benny!

christianne said...

You lied! You dog! Ahhh, I love that one. And just so you girls know, I was trouncing around the house yesterday with bursts of, "Giselle! We'll be married in the morning!" Of course, Kirk looked at me like I was crazy. I finally had to confess that I had indeed succumbed to the pressure to watch "Enchanted."

Thanks for sharing what you did, Christin, about being worth knowing. I hate how the jackass creeps into our space and starts infiltrating the message boards inside our hearts. Loser!

And YES, I totally learned how to use a computer by using a Commodore. Commodore 64, man! It's all about the Pong and the Oregon Trail.

kirsten said...

hi girls!!

just popping in on a quick break from work. i've been training for the past 5 hours & i'm not done yet. argh. today's a hard day (i.e., learners aren't learning from my various examples & teaching and bring on the feelings of inadequacy & i'm an idiot, etc.) and i have a totally different all day training that i'll have to prep for tomorrow once this one is done. i am experiencing that overloaded & way too stretched out feeling that induced feelings of panic yesterday & i just want to hide.

blesh.

there's a post forming in my head about this: about how you girls mirrored a truth about myself to me that i either didn't know or was afraid of encountering myself (i'm more inclined to believe it's the latter option). now that i have encountered the truth of it, i just don't want to be doing anything that's not that.

i hate that i can't experience that freedom (living in the truth of who i am) that i got a glimpse of right now, in this very moment ... that i have to wait because of these other areas of responsibility. EVERYBODY NOW: ARGH!!!

even so, i see little blessings coming my way and i've been more inspired (since encountering the truth that you all were so good as to reveal to me) to take what steps forward into my calling that i can.

and please let me add my amen to this statement: We could not have emerged without forging the connection we did.

i miss you girls so much. i'm really glad we decided to go forward with making this space for ourselves. it's different than e-mail and i love how we're using it so far. :o)

i'll try & catch up at the end of the day.

love you!!

niiiiiiiiiiiice.

christianne said...

Hey Kirsten-girl,

Man, that sounds like a TOUGH DAY. BLECHHHHHH is right. I would totally be with you in feeling inadequate and confused if it was me. The good news is that I know you, and I know you're not inadequate or a confusing person. There could be all manner of things going on in that room that cause the kind of responses that you're getting . . . and many times, what I've learned is that those factors can have nothing to do with you at all!

But still, it's still tough to get through.

I have to say that I can't wait to read that post that's forming in your head. It sounds major, or at least the tipping of something major.

Love you, girl.

Sarah said...

Christin--I totally remember the commodore 64...or at least the name. Mohair boots!

Kirsten--I'll join the Blech-fest on that. I hate it when teaching feels more like banging your head against a wall. I also want to read the post that's coming out of this.

I so resonate with your feeling of, "Ah, that's me...now if I could only LIVE there." Shiz-nits.

This is the coolest space. Iz da bomb!

Sarah said...

Christianne--you know, sometimes I feel like I should just comment after you and write "ditto," because I love how you express your feelings in words. So ditto, Ditto, DITTO ;)

kirsten said...

sarah - i'm with you on the dittos. so many times i've commented on a post after our christianne-girl & thought i should just write: yeah, what she said.

:o)

christianne said...

Aww, you girls are sweet. But you know what? I do the SAME EXACT THING WITH YOU!

And by the way, every time I read "Niiiice," I picture Katherine Heigl scrubbing her stove in rubber gloves and start laughing.

Christin said...

Reading through your comments is like a roller coaster ride. I go from Wows! to Grrs! to flat out laughter. So, if you can follow, here are my comments without context b/c well, I'm too tired to figure it out. =)

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Kirsten, your thought about the mirroring is so perfect, and pretty much the point of a certain book Sarah has been reading. I can hardly wait to read your post. Ah! Truth is truth no matter where you find it.

I love that we have renamed the enemy Jackass. Fitting.

Also, Kirsten, I am sorry you were discouraged during your training sessions. Somehow, I really don't think you were the inadequate or idiotic one (okay, so I did look that one up). I was telling Adam just the other day - I think I assume everyone else is as smart as I am. Okay, please see that as a remark without arrogance. It's just that we are used to the way we think. The four of us (though not just us) are intelligent, we catch onto things quickly. I know I for one assume that everyone I meet does as well, until I am confronted with the fact that they don't. Does that make sense? Anyway, I just don't think Kirsten was the inadequate one in the room.

And with that, I think we sould end on a - Benny!