16 September 2008

resistance & strength

We've been talking about and thinking on this idea of standing lately, how standing matters when the only other option is to bow your knee to a false god. Standing is glorious when all the evidence says that to stand up is to invite your own demise, and you stand anyway. I heard a line in a song recently where the singer was asking God for the "strength to stand." Standing requires strength; it demands that we hold ourselves upright even when our strength is assaulted and challenged. It requires that we encounter and engage with those things that resist us.

Standing also means resisting the enemy. We plant our feet firmly, standing strong and erect in the face of his onslaught. He shakes the earth we stand on in an effort to topple us. He brings the elements against us: a strong wind to knock us over, heat to make us faint, or the cold to cause us to fold in on ourselves. He surrounds us with big-mouthed and sharp-clawed creatures who threaten to devour us. He does everything he can to get us to crumble, or to turn coward and run the other way.

Speaking in simple physiological terms, remaining in a standing position requires dynamic balance on part of the stander. There is nothing static about it. In order to stay standing, she has to contend with inner shifts and perturbations (like respiration) and with external ones as well (like wind). She must make adjustments, respond to those shifts and disturbances from within and from without in order to remain upright. To be static means she will fall, that the shifts that occur inside her and in the surrounding environs will ultimately render her unable to maintain an upright position.

Paul is rather emphatic about this image of standing when he discusses the armor of God in Ephesians 6. He speaks of "taking your stand against the devil's schemes" and exhorts believers to put on the full armor of God "so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand" (v. 13). Can you hear the strength and the victory pulsing through Paul's words? The believer is to be covered in armor, battle-ready and standing. The believer, whether or not she knows it, is engaging in battle simply by standing. And she really incites the enemy's anger when after stumbling, she bravely picks herself up, daring to resist him again.

In resisting him, she becomes stronger. Make no mistake: getting stronger hurts. It is a slow process. If we look at this from a physiological point of view again, getting stronger requires that we deliberately engage our muscles against the weight we are lifting. It requires that we repeat the motion of lifting or pressing, engaging our muscles repeatedly to the point of fatigue. In so doing, muscle fibers are broken down and we become sore as a result. In the days of rest that follow, the fibers are built back up, stronger than they were before. And we do it again and again.

What does this mean for us? It could mean any number of things, really. But I think it means that when the enemy comes against us, we remain vigilant and aware, engaging our strength and the power of God in us. It means we deliberately and intentionally don the armor of God to defend ourselves against the enemy and use the one tool of offense that we have in our arsenal with cunning and skill: the sword of the Spirit, the word of God (I have to wonder: could this also be the Word of God -- Christ Himself?). It means that it will happen again and again; there is no line we will cross in this life which, once past it, signals an arrival for us or a total defeat of the enemy. He will flee from time to time, but he always comes back. Sometimes it will mean that it will feel like we're being torn apart, that we will need to wait on God to tend to our wounds and rebuild us, making us stronger.

At the end of the day, I think remaining upright will mean staying attuned to the movements within ourselves and the disturbances outside of us, to balance ourselves dynamically against them all, engaging ourselves in such a way that those movements and perturbations won't make us fall. Even though we don't appear to be doing much, standing may require every ounce of strength we possess.

I had a dream last night, something like the one I had about six months ago. Though this one was not nearly as intense, it did bear a resemblance. The enemy came against me while I slept, pushing and pressing hard against my body and trying to move me by force out of my bed (why he's so fond of my bedroom, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's something to do with the vulnerable state of sleep?). I knew it was him, even with eyes closed. I resisted with all my strength and even in the depths of sleep, my spirit cried out Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! In truth, it felt more like worship than it did like weapon-wielding. The enemy kept at it for awhile, but eventually he left.

There was nothing particularly noteworthy about the encounter, nothing dramatic. The enemy came, I resisted, he left. It happens with us every day and it will happen again. But it struck me this morning: that was standing. That's what Paul enjoins us to do in Ephesians: stand your ground, and after you have done everything ... stand. We've said it before, but it bears repeating: standing is victory. It's Christ's victory in us and ours over the enemy. It's not the final word, but it is something, isn't it?

Standing is victory.

And so we keep standing. You are among the strongest and most beautiful women I know and I'm thankful to be sharing in the journey with you. I'm proud to stand with you.


To God be the glory forever and ever.
Amen.

19 comments:

christianne said...

This felt like worship, Kirsten. And that dream? Whoa. I love that your resisting impulse was to cry out for Jesus as hard as you could. I also love what you said about it feeling more like worship in that cry than like resistance. Again, whoa.

This part, too, gave me pause:

At the end of the day, I think remaining upright will mean staying attuned to the movements within ourselves and the disturbances outside of us, to balance ourselves dynamically against them all, engaging ourselves in such a way that those movements and perturbations won't make us fall. Even though we don't appear to be doing much, standing may require every ounce of strength we possess.

As I read these words, I kept getting an image of us as female martial arts masters (I keep getting images in my mind of the young girl from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, during the action sequences) warding off the enemy with our agile, strong bodies that contort every which way to resist the thwarting attempts of the enemy and throwing our own advances against him with our strong arms and natural weapons.

Sarah said...

I love the synthesis here, how you've picked out so many different colored threads and yet wove them into something beautiful.

And these dreams of yours are so powerful...I love that your half-conscious or unconscious self calls out to Jesus so naturally.

When I've thought of that verse in Ephesians 6..."and after you've done everything, to stand"...I always think of a soldier after the battle. He gets into armor, stands and fights, and looks around at the end to realize he's one of a few who remain standing. Actually, "she," in this case ;) I see balance, exertion, exhaustion, and yet still a readiness. If the enemy comes again, she will fight again, even though she's been through one fight already and she's tired.

Christianne, I love your martial arts image. I was always bummed, when I was practicing karate, that the arts in that movie weren't something I could learn. "When do we learn to fly?" I'd ask, kidding of course, but wishing anyway. I love the idea that our spirits can do this even when our bodies can't.

It also makes me think of Eowyn.

christianne said...

Of course it makes you think of Eowyn! That's because you ARE her. :)

Sarah said...

Do you really mean it? Because I've always wanted to be...

kirsten said...

christianne - let me add my whoa to yours. like worship? thank you; that remark is so humbling. and yeah ... i thought it was something that even in sleep, my spirit cries out for Jesus.

i was thinking of us as martial arts kung fu warrior princesses all, standing against our enemy with cunning and efficiency of movement. because we're just sitting ducks right? we're just standing there. not hardly, enemy. duh duh duh ... meet your worst nightmare: a woman of God.

sarah - by the way, you are so eowyn. i love her: feminine and fierce, someone not to be trifled with. yeah, that's you alright!

and yes ... "and after everthing, stand." i love that image: when you've done all you can do: JUST STAND. and that's powerful. that's more powerful than i ever realized.

love you!!

christianne said...

Kirsten, that's awesome -- meet your worst enemy: a woman of God!! Preach it, sista!

christianne said...

Oh, and Sarah . . . yes, I totally see you as Eowyn, too. It's that whole warrior princess thing you've already got going on, plus it's just so easy to see you unsheathing a broadsword and sticking it straight in the enemy's gullet. Probably the fairness of hair and skin adds to the effect, too . . .

Sarah said...

meet your worst nightmare...a woman of God

I love it. And SO true. I wish I loved all truth like I love that part of it ;)

christianne said...

Hey girls,

Last night I was reading a section of Richard Foster's Streams of Living Water for class and came across the incredible story of Antonius, better known as Father Antony of Egypt who sold all he had and went into the desert to commune with God.

The entire time I was reading this passage, I could not stop thinking about our ongoing conversation of standing against the flares of the enemy, and of Kirsten's post here. I've decided to type out [at great length] the majority of this story so that we can have it here for our reference, as a testimony to how one man of God learned to stand against the enemy and what God fostered in his spirit and ministry as a result. [But I'll say in advance: sorry for the length! I hope it edifies you.]

Here goes:

Almost instinctively Antonius underestood that the followers of Christ were the athletae Dei, the athletes of God. And, like a good athlete, Antonius had a single-hearted devotion toward the goal of Christlikeness. And so he renounced possessions in order to learn detachment; he renounced speech in order to learn compassion; he renounced activity in order to learn prayer.

So off he went into the solitude of the Egyptian desert, not just for a few days or weeks but for twenty years. . . . Antonius went into the desert to discover God . . . and to fight the devil.

And fight the devil he did! The stories of his struggles with demonic forces are voluminous and fantastic -- strange, perhaps, to modern sensibilities. But before we jump to analyzing the experiences, we would do well first to listen to them.

His first temptation experience, we are told, happened because the devil "wished to cordon him off from his righteous intention." And so he paraded before Antonius a host of memories about what he was leaving behind: "the guardianship of his sister, the bonds of kinship . . . the manifold pleasure of food," and the like. At first all of this raised "a great dust cloud of considerations" in Antonius's mind. But his resolve stood firm. Next the devil "hurled foul thoughts" at him, but Antonius "overturned them through his prayers." So the devil "resorted to titillation," but Antonius, "seeming to blush, fortified the body with faith." So, turning to more blatant sexual temptation, the devil decided to "assume the form of a woman and to imitate her every gesture," but Antonius "extinguished the fire of his opponent's deception." Back and forth the fight went, Antonius winning round after round until the devil "fled, cowering at the words and afraid even to approach the man." Concerned that we understand whose power was behind these victories, Antonius's biographer writes, "This was Antonius's first contest against the devil -- or, rather, this was in Antonius the success of the Savior." Well is may have been "his first contest," but it was far from his last.

Another confrontation underscores the dramatic character of these stories. Antonius was visiting some above-ground tombs when demonic spirits attacked him and threw him to the ground. Not just once ot twice, but again and again. Battered and exhausted, Antonius shouted out, "Here I am -- Antonius! I do not run from your blows, for even if you give me more, nothing shall separate me from the love of Christ." He then broke into song: "Though an army should set itself in array against me, my heart shall not be afraid."

The demons, astonished by this courage, retreated. But at night they attacked again, violently shaking Antonius's room. With terrifying noises the spirits took on the form of "lions, bears, leopards, bulls, and serpents, asps, scorpions, and wolves." In the midst of the commotion, Antonius declared, "If there were some power among you, it would have been enough for only one of you to come. But since the Lord has broken your strength, you attempt to terrify me by any means with the mob; it is a mark of your weakness that you mimic the shapes of irrational beasts." To this the demonic spirits had no defense. Defeated, they scattered.

Then Antonius was given a vision, "a certain beam of light descending toward him." Humbled by the divine Presence, he nevertheless sought to understand why God would let him go through such terrible struggles: "Why didn't you appear in the beginning, so that you could stop my distresses?" The response he heard spoke not only to his present situation but also to his future ministry. "And a voice came to him: 'I was here, Antonius, but I waited to watch your struggle. And now, since you persevered and were not defeated, I will be your helper forever, and I will make you famous everywhere.'"

. . . The demonology in these stories is subtle and psychologically suggestive. The stories deal with far more than the conquering of demons; more profoundly, they deal with the conquering of the self -- the demons within. Throughout the stories there is a penetrating element of self-scrutiny, self-knowledge, self-mastery. The demonic stood not only for what was hostile to human nature but for what was incomplete in human nature. Always the demons seemed to manifest themselves in exactly those guises that would make the desert monks the most needy and the most susceptible to temptation. All of the stories carry with them the sense of growth in grace, of character formation, of clarifying the motives and intents of the heart. For Antonius the issue was not so much conquest over particular demons as progress in virtue.

. . . His biographer writes, "It was not his physical dimensions that distinguished him from the rest, but the stability of character and the purity of the soul. His soul being free from confusion, he held his outer senses also undisturbed, so that from the soul's joy his face was cheerful as well."

. . . After his twenty years in the desert God catapulted him into one of the most remarkable ministries of that day. . . . Antonius's healing ministry was known throughout the region. . . . Often the healing work was accompanied by a well-nigh-amazing discernment.

. . . At the end of his biography Athanasius powerfully summarized the force of Antony's life: 'It was as if he were a physician given to Egypt by God.'

kirsten said...

wow, christianne. or should i say:

WOWZA!!

that story is extraordinary & i'm so thankful you shared it with us. that is amazing how he was able to discern the demons for what they were & let Christ have the success in that place.

and oh my goodness, i got chills when i read of his response when God comes to him and he asks God where he's been. the answer is, of course, that God's been present & watching the whole time. i got chills at this part because of my own recent revelation that despite a seeming absence, God is present and watching in the shadows. he watches us like a parent, watching us work out what salvation & sanctification He has worked in us. oh geeze. i've got chills all over over here!!

it's just ... wow. totally AMAZING.

christianne said...

Yep, girl. You were totally in my mind the entire way, and especially in that part when he asked God where he was. So glad it moved you. Love you.

ilse said...

"getting stronger hurts" - I think that's the pain i'm feeling right now - so it is such an encouragement to be reminded that he is making me stronger through this, and that I will be changed through this place in my life.

This blog is just what I needed tonight.

kirsten said...

ilse, wow. i'm sorry you're walking through such a hard time. it seems like so many of the people i care about so much are in really tough spaces right now: spaces that - like you said - just suck, just hurt. and it's particularly hard to see beyond that.

i don't know about you, but i get so frustrated with God sometimes: i want to know why this is happening, & what this is all about. i want to know when & if it will stop hurting. but i think He wants me to trust Him: to know that i can't see what's ahead and what this is all about, but He can and He's good. i hate that answer sometimes.

but if it helps, i can see it: you are getting stronger.

Sarah said...

Always the demons seemed to manifest themselves in exactly those guises that would make the desert monks the most needy and the most susceptible to temptation.

Wow...this is so true! At least, it's true to my experience of this sort of thing.

Also, this whole thing reminded me of Kirsten, too ;)

kirsten said...

ah!! i totally agree, sarah. it seems the enemy is apt to strike where it will do the maximum amount of damage with the minimal amount of effort. jackass!! but yeah, he knows what he's doing, doesn't he?? i mean, he seems to have been fairly effective over the last few thousand years or so.

btw: you girls are just lovely. you know that, don't you?? i keep thinking about the places where he strikes me & where he strikes us ... about how God is watching us battle these demons, knowing better than we do how we can do it ... and wow ... my head just starts to spin!!

Christin said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

So many excellent thoughts.

In the passage from Foster, I was struck by the part where Antony is attacked by the demonic mob, and he calls it out saying if you had any real power you wouldn't have to gang up on me. I think there is a beautiful strength in the recognition of the attack. Of looking at what is going on and saying, oh, I'm being attacked. Okay, I can deal with this because now I know what it is, and Christ conquers all.

It's like when I was dealing with my severe fear issues. When I realized that Jackass was incompacitating me with fear, I was able to see the attack, call on God, and experience victory and freedom. But, as long as I went around blindly letting fear overtake me, I succombed to it. I just think there is power in recognizing what is going on.

At the same time, I still struggle with my 20th century, western culture upbringing. I still wrestle with skepticism when I read the account of Antony. God give me wisdom to understand Truth!

This is the other part that hit like a ton of bricks:

"Throughout the stories there is a penetrating element of self-scrutiny, self-knowledge, self-mastery."

I think I am lacking in this department.

christianne said...

Hey Christin,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always love when you chime in here. And I'm with you -- it gets so much easier once we know the source is coming from the opposite side. For me, it's like a new strength surges up because I know I can call on the power of Jesus to help fight him, and that he will ultimately cower in the face of God's power.

Love and miss you, girl.

Christianne

Sarah said...

Christin--Sometimes I feel like knowing is way more than half the battle. When I realize what I'm fighting, it's so much easier to fight. Maybe it's when I realize that it's a fight, it's easier to enter in instead of give up.

I also love hearing your voice here. Have a great weekend with family!

kirsten said...

just thought i'd chime in & say that when it comes to the enemy, something my mom always reminds me of is that he thrives on our skepticism and forgetfulness. on the whole, i think the tendency is to think of the kingdom of darkness in the abstract -- something not wholly real and not connected to our daily lives. it is a bit weird and sounds a bit freakish to think of demons and minions scattered over the earth seeking and devouring the way they're so often described. sounds like a C-grade horror flick. but it's real. and when we can call the enemy on the carpet, recognize him for what he really is, that is so much of our battle.

i know i'm not saying anything you girls don't already know, but i think it's important to recognize his destructive patterns, both on a personal level and throughout history.

when i was going through the catechism about a year ago, i learned about a saint (in spain, i think, though i can't remember for sure ... nor can i remember the name) who could see demons that the rest of us are blind to. he said the air was thick with them, that they blocked out the light of the sun. a part of me is a bit incredulous, but a part of me confesses that i think this is true.

hallelujah for being covered in the blood of Jesus!! the power of God is great, indeed.

and i'm with you Christin: i think it took no small amount of discernment for antony to recognize that they were mobbing him because they had no real power. WOW.

Jesus rocks.